Discussion: Rewriting the Pulse Gun

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Discussion: Rewriting the Pulse Gun

Idea thread.
    The point in rewriting the pulse gun is:

1- Getting rid of the problems with projectiles and pBolts going trough walls.

2- Using secondary fire as shortcut for REPAIR.
    No, it's not quite the UT2k4 and UT3 method, this one should work exactly like the sgConstructor repair, simply alt pulse towards a sgBuilding and see the beam color changing to that of the team and the building being repaired, ammo drain can be handled accordingly to prevent exploits (see penalties), and repair distance can be limited so that the player has to approach the building.

3- Increasing plasma balls' range for leeching purposes?

Repair penalties:
    No ammo drain if next to building.
    Double ammo drain if repairing from distance.
    30 ammo drain for repairing a EMP-disabled or burning building.
    Mines fully glow while being repaired using this method.

Any opinions/ideas?

I have already fixed the pulse so it doesnt go threw the walls (credit to feralidragon)

1 - Cool story brah

2 - Not so cool story, don't see why we need this other than it might look fancy? No practical use means no good.

3 - Offense is already overpowered with everything, don't think this is gonna do anybody a favor.

30 ammo for reparing an EMPed/flamed building? Tu es loco? Already costs 10 ru if the building is damaged + POR QUE. 30 ru x 10 buildings = 300 ru, leads to no repairing at all lolol.

Sólo mis 2 centavos

You didn't get the point, the RU is used up just like the sgConstructor's repair mode does, only that when using the pulse gun to repair, pulse gun ammo is used up.

The logic is to reduce the usage of the sgConstructor by adding a REPAIR shortcut in the pulse gun, in practical means (alt-firing):
    - At close distance, works exactly like the sgConstructor, no ammo drained.
    - At middle distance, ammo is decreased at 2x rate. (3x might work if it's abused)
    - If the building has special damage, then it will cost 30 additional pulse gun ammo to heal the special damage.

In all cases, 10 RU is decreased per second (scaled down due to game speed) just like the with sgConstructor.
    The point of decreasing ammo is to limit the amount of healing you can do with the pulse gun at distance and to specially damaged builds.

Things that will be modified in gameplay terms:
    - Reparing at middle range prevents getting killed by a load of 6 rockets aimed at the core or building. (Ever got a monster kill by spamming the enemy core?)
    - Repairing objects placed high up that can't be repaired unless you impact jump and hit a bind becomes easier.
    - Quickly switching from repairing to firing at an enemy, because, with an sgConstructor in hand, you can't kill shit.

EDIT: Another benefit is, noobs that already played UT3 or 2k4 will indeed participate more because they would already know how to repair.
    Last edited by Higor; 05-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.

I like the concept of shifting the repair function to a weapon, and with distance repairing of builds. Perhaps their could be a COMBO developed with a BIO Bomb type result. At ANY rate, new weapons (or returning to OLD ONE's [DAMN i miss the SHRINKER] would be fresh)

You take risk yourself by building up high, if you can't reach it it's your problem, if you can't defend when you repair core, you deserve to die. Frustrating? Sure, but that's been part of the game since forever. This pulse thing just doesn't seem practical to me.

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    imo the pulse repairing is not a good idea it is all part of the game to repair with your team and for an attacker who gambles in a game that goes right down to the wire to either help repair or attack the enemies core who has everyone around the core repairing like your team does

number 1 is good it has been coming for a while and glad its been brought up i agree

3 could be done but you could also argue rockets shouldnt also disappear which imo should also be done if the pulse primary range is extended.

The only thing that has been fixed as far as I am aware with pulse gun is the alt fire going through walls (credits where due again, feralidragon for his hard work).

The alt fire repair is fine in my opinion. Binds are binds. They are allowed in UT. You have to strike a balance between what is and isn't fair. If a player decides alt fire is useless to him then so be it. He should be able to repair with whichever key he likes (at least that's my opinion)

Alt fire is stupid. Should we also repair teammates by headshotting them? Nah

Agree to Keith, Blaze and apesonic. I don't like the idea for repairing out of the reason that u're being able to kill the guy who will try to interrupt you while repairing core.

Thread Information