SpeedTest - Page 3

User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SpeedTest

Last edited by jANOSIK; 06-01-2015 at 04:36 PM.

How many of of have just actually tested the speed of your Wi-Fi ?
    Always connect directly to the router or terminal adapter, or you will skew your tests with extra error corrections.

My Unreal - Network - Router - Internet tools
    Use a tracer tool to see how many hops to the speedtest site (do the same to see where the slow-downs are between you and the server you are playing on).

Mine is wireless. Directly connecting wouldn't work when both my husband and I use laptops. We don't always use them in the same spots of our house, so my internet speed test is as accurate as it'll get.

I'm on wireless also, sharing it with others, how fun it is to play with a really spiky ping xD

See, that's the weird part for me. I'm wireless and share with my husband. Plus, it's DSL, so it's basically shared with all my neighbors in a sense, yet my ping is the one thing that's never effected. It's usually as good as it's going to get based mostly on location.

The only thing it effects is streaming videos like on YouTube or downloading basically anything, torrents, patches, drivers, etc. Of course the downloading part is what I'd prefer to have the speed on. Lol.

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    lol banny its not what you think

What you may find more interesting is, how fast are you compared to the rest of your street.
    UK Broadband Speed Test - See Your Street with StreetStats? - Broadband Speed Checker - uSwitch.com
    Also anyone doing a speed test, while others are sharing the connection, is getting misleading results.
    Kick them off before testing.

There are now network devices you plug into the mains sockets, so you can have secure Ethernet all over the house.
    TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Single | Ebuyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
    What you may find more interesting is, how fast are you compared to the rest of your street.
    UK Broadband Speed Test - See Your Street with StreetStats? - Broadband Speed Checker - uSwitch.com
    Also anyone doing a speed test, while others are sharing the connection, is getting misleading results.
    Kick them off before testing.

There are now network devices you plug into the mains sockets, so you can have secure Ethernet all over the house.
    TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Single | Ebuyer.com
    The issue with comparing the speed to others in my neighborhood, apparently, is that it's stretching out further than I'd expect. I say that because it's including those neighborhoods near me that actually can get Fibre. Sadly, my neighborhood can't get Fibre as the lines aren't laid out. It's the biggest issue. I personally know from talking to my neighbors that they get about the same speed as us.

I'd like to try that Powerline Adapter though. Would I just plug that into the wall then connect to my router? Or would it directly connect to the microfilter that's plugged into the wall? Also, how would I know if it'll work with the router I already have or not? Cause if this could work and greatly improve our speed, then that'd be hella awesome. I've only lived in England for a year, so I'm not really an expert on how they do everything here. Trying to learn though. I'm sure I'll figure it all out just before we move back to the US, lol.

The disturbing thing thing we find in the UK, is the massive differences in speeds within the same row of houses on the same street.
    British Telecom make sure all the ISPs who lease lines from them, get a slower speed so that they can show they are faster than many others.
    The best companies, have their own lines, and achieve far higher speeds than BT (This is why the average UK speeds are so poor compared to the rest of Europe).

The mains network option, basically gives you a standard ethernet socket wherever you plug it.
    One of them will have to plug into your router.
    Not had any experience with them yet, but search for customer reviews, or product comparisons. This will give you a good idea of how easy to use they are.

Thread Information