Siege Suggestion: Compass, Communication Relay, Sweep Visor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Siege Suggestion: Compass, Communication Relay, Sweep Visor

FIRST OFF: Add a universal compass to the Siege HUD, a la Deus Ex 1 (shame on you if you haven't played this game). This should help players navigate maps that don't have good location zoning. It also ties in with the suggestions that are to follow.

Second, the substance of this suggestion. Many veterans had a problem with the Motion Detector and Nuke Siren, claiming that it took the effort out of good defense, intelligence-gathering, and communication on the part of teams that built them. To an extent, I agree - However, this leaves beset teams with three alternatives for communicating what they CAN see or hear, and each of them carry their own disadvantages.

Teamspeak:
    - Pro: Great program, can provide quick, precise info on the battlefield
    - Not newbie-friendly, can be a hassle - Requires teamspeak installation
    - Not everyone uses teamspeak even after installed, in fact most do not

Macro binds:
    - Pro: Fast
    - Not newbie-friendly either, also asks that players make dedicated binds for siege only
    - Lacks precision of location

Manual Typing:
    - Slow
    - Paralyzes player
    - Often imprecise
    - Makes typing speed relevant to gameplay, bad for obvious reasons

Common flaws in all:
    - May not relay as much information as may be needed in a short enough time
    - Language barriers

My alternative is a building called the Communication Relay. It enables an option in the constructor that will allow players to relay important information to their teammates quickly and in the other teammates' native languages. Binds obviously make this faster. Whether this should be automatic or not is open for discussion here.

For example, Player A and B are on the same team. Player A speaks English, while Player B speaks Spanish. Player A sees Player C using a Translocator in his field of view. The Communication Relay is up and Player A broadcasts a message, "incoming enemy with translocator," to Player B. Player B sees this message in Spanish in addition to the general location of the sighting - Northwest, above or below, and pace-distance from the receiving player. More specific information about who or what the object is will be broadcast if the player has the enemy in their sights.

In addition to any sighted object, the Communication Relay will automatically pick the most important-seeming object in the player's field of view for broadcast - If there are multiple important objects, like several nukers inbound, the message might be "2-3 high-priority/highly mobile enemies inbound, with the general locations of these enemies given. Middle powerups and high-priority buildings like mines and teleports can also be reported.

Important "heard" events might be used as well, like an enemy picking up a nuke or putting on invisibility.

The message feed should probably be in a separate interface from the normal chat to avoid clutter and also let players turn it on or off.

Building Details:
    Name: Communication Relay
    Cost and Upgrade Cost: 1500 + 100, 200, 300, 400, 500
    Description: Allows quick and specific information relay over a certain fixed radius
    Upgrade description: Each upgrade adds an additional target to possible listings and expands the radius of the Relay

== LAZY - WILL TALK ABOUT SWEEP VISOR LATER ==
    Last edited by Scourge; 04-27-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Building Details:
    Name: Communication Relay
    Cost and Upgrade Cost: 1500 + 100, 200, 300, 400, 500
    Description: Allows quick and specific information relay over a certain fixed radius
    Upgrade description: Each upgrade adds an additional target to possible listings and expands the radius of the Relay
    This is just one of the worst ideas I've ever heard...
    Quote Originally Posted by |uK|UNrealshots View Post
    You're playing a game that came out in 1999 in the year 2012 who is the fucking nerd here?
    All of us. Enjoy.

First off agree with darren, second it is just going to gey fucking annoying and will be more annoying then people spamming binds, taunts and ect. I don't have time reading shit even if it helps the team, I believe most people agree on this. Also most, well i should say all , are mirrored if you know how your base is then you are good to know how the enemy base is but it will just be too much for the hud and its ideal if the core health is on top like in 2k4.
    "What's Yours Is Mine" Garret Thief (2013)
    Roberto Gómez Bolaños "Chespirito" fue si querer queriendo. You'll be missed.

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

We had enough clutter with Motion Alarms and Nuke Sirens as it was, spamming the screen with information that most wouldn't be able to use seems a bit ridiculous.
    Whilst getting over the language barrier would be indeed handy, I don't think this is the way to do it at all.

On top of that, I'm sure it would be a coding nightmare.

Compass, at least? ._.

Severed had done something like this without a structure - he was telling everyone where enemies were coming from, almost like he had a radar. It didn't clutter too much and was actually really useful in defending Kanjar.
    Last edited by Scourge; 04-28-2013 at 01:02 AM.

When I saw this I was thinking of a map and u can see your team players. lol... well nvm that do include map implemention as well i think... (grabbing image of the map then display it.) Kinda like jail break if any of you played it...
    Last edited by Chamberly; 04-29-2013 at 10:43 AM.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

kanjar is a bad example because it is a small map and it is most likely any teamates would have seen the enemy coming not just severed. A better example could be blackriver or outworld. But still it would just be annoying seeing a bunch of shit on the console or chatbox where most likely people would just abuse it.
    For the compass it will be useless i don't see it why add it on since most people will just ignore it.
    Last edited by Shotman; 04-28-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberly View Post
    When I saw this I was thinking of a little 2D hud on the bottom left of the screen somewhere, showing the map and your team players. lol... well nvm that do include map implemention as well i think... (grabbing image of the map then display it.)
    I have seen this on a Japanese server. I wasn't sold on it though, it took up space and it only told you about a few players.

Scourge, the reason it worked with Severed is because he could think for himself. Having a set line of coding to do the same thing could prove unreliable. Also, the compass on Deus Ex works because we need a direction to go in a not-so-linear level. However, a compass in a arena game in a comparatively linear setting is a bit unnecessary.

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    whats the use of a compass?

never used it in school why start now?

Don't introduce a radar please....

Thread Information