The UDK - Page 2

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The UDK

Many new games do focus in graphics more rather than gameplay. They want people to buy their shiny games, after that even if they have a bad review on how bad the gameplay is, they don't care, since people are dumb enough to keep buying them because of "shiny graphicz", and thus said companies keep profiting.

However UDK != bad games. My current favorite game was made using UDK, and is far from being an eye cancer, and its gameplay is incredible, given that the developers did focus in both graphics and gameplay as much as they could. UDK is capable of any kind of graphics you want, it's just that most feel the need to use every feature it has just because they can, even if turns out to look bad.
    UT3 suffers from the "eye cancer" problem. I couldn't play it more than a couple of minutes as my head would literally melt trying to figure out where the actual players were in the midst of all the overdetailed and fragmented scene.

It reminds me from the time the first 3D games implemented particle systems, and before you knew it plenty of them were abusing it to no end (Unreal II, I am looking at you...). The same happens with the new technologies, they use them just to say "our game uses X", even if it didn't need or only prejudices the overall experience.
    But that's just my humble view on things of course.

I hate games that are too graphics intense. In fact, any other game I play, I turn the settings down to low or lowest.

The one thing I hate and always turn off in absolutely every modern game: bokeh.
    Your eye already naturally creates this effect wherever you're looking, and when they try to replicate the effect for a second time, it's pretty much "double bokeh ftw!!"...

It's a nice to have for a video or movie to make the user focus in something, is also nice for games where it actually makes sense, but the ones putting it on just because they can annoy me to no end.
    And who says bokeh, says many of their post-processing effects, which make the whole thing being frustratingly painful to the eye.

i agree with @Shotman . i like graphics to be like a movie seen. i've always wanted to be in realistic game like the expendables in real life and youre there or like a star wars scene or something. gameplay is also a variable, but to me... graphics > gameplay. i play UT because its an exception

The one game that I am worried that is coming out next year is Thief. I have seen a little preview and when I saw the screenshots i just thought my god they focused on the graphics way too much. The gameplay looks like it is towards more to Assasins Creed which is just lame. Zac proved a point, the next generation will just be more interested in High end graphic than gameplay quality. I bet if he played any game on or before 1998 like Doom, KI, and ect. he would not like it.
    "What's Yours Is Mine" Garret Thief (2013)
    Roberto Gómez Bolaños "Chespirito" fue si querer queriendo. You'll be missed.

hmm classic games like UT and old games in the early years were actually good. doom was pretty good, but it was quite boring

The UDK is an interesting package, however ... the Coding modules do not apply to UT99 (as I've been told) ...Major bummer there.

Thread Information