User Tag List

What is New.net and why are some games so smooth and others not so

So I"m trying to enjoy the game but its getting very frustrating. Some games are smooth, you feel total player control and control over all your moves. Other games it feels like you have no control, no precision. Sometimes the first half of the game is super smooth then nothing. All shots miss high or low and it certainly is not the player, its the game causing this.

So someone has been saying new.net is causing the problem. What is new.net? I have some of the best hardware in existence so I know my hardware is not the issue nor is my internet connection, I have upgraded modem and dual band router( I'm wired when playing). What can I do to enjoy a smooth game all the time? I don't want to have conspiracy theories that Admin has a button and they press it and they give you only certain precision in games, lol.

Check your framerate when you feel like this is happening.

How do I do this? this is only checking for lag? or is there a way I can improve/fix my issues?

I've been thinking its my mouse. I bought a newer gaming one but it was too sensitive so I'm sticking with some oldies that feel just right.

"timedemo 1" in console will show you your framerate. It's possible you need to adjust your configuration for UT to keep your framerate maximized, despite UT being an incredibly old game. Remember that it was never designed to work with newer hardware.

It is also possible your mouse is being funky. I would start with lowering your DPI and then increasing your in-game sensitivity. Older games like UT99 don't capture mouse input the same as most newer games. If you have a high DPI and/or high sensitivity in Windows, when you move your mouse quickly, your cursor will essentially hit the edge of your desktop (though you obviously can't see it in-game), and then any mouse movement past that range won't be detected until the game resets the cursor to the center, which happens pretty quick but can really throw off the consistency of your game, especially if your framerate drops.

Newnet is a mod
    irc.globalgamers.net #codereview

Might as well check in and say... using some core patch if they are needed?

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
    It is also possible your mouse is being funky. I would start with lowering your DPI and then increasing your in-game sensitivity. Older games like UT99 don't capture mouse input the same as most newer games. If you have a high DPI and/or high sensitivity in Windows, when you move your mouse quickly, your cursor will essentially hit the edge of your desktop (though you obviously can't see it in-game), and then any mouse movement past that range won't be detected until the game resets the cursor to the center, which happens pretty quick but can really throw off the consistency of your game
    That explains a lot, I always wondered why there was no problems with my g400, but always with this mouse in UT.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some research and try to figure it out.

Thread Information