The rules are dumb?! On DMing/backshooting/camping and chasing

User Tag List

The rules are dumb?! On DMing/backshooting/camping and chasing

Hello. My name is MaZ aka C-18 - I don't know who still remembers me.
    It's almost certain I'm gonna get flamed by people who don't know me at all after this thread so here's some introduction about me, so you at least know what you hate:
    I am VRN - The Veterans clanleader.
    I helped build ut99.org.
    I hosted and adminned a couple popular public servers.
    I organized and adminned cups and did a lot of broadcasting.
    My great love within UT always has been public servers and ingame interaction, especially bunnytrack.
    I'm a cancer patient, sure it has nothing to do with UT but it is working for me when it comes to the fatality of understanding things.
    I am an independent artist and consulting agent, I run my own company. UT and its community helped me shape the skills that are now my capital.
    I consider myself a visionary expert and the people who pay me do so, too.

I want to present to you my opinion on the InstaGib server rules and why I think there should be an additional server with no rules.

I have noticed a lot of whining and arguing coming from people on the subjects of so called backshooting, DMing, camping and assing/chasing.
    I want to radically address some of the points that are frequently made because I think those are tactics and not "laming".

It is the admins and owners' server and they set the rules and any kick and ban is justified no matter if the rules are broken or not simply because it is their server.

Backshooting
    I don't think backshooting is lame, it is merely shooting back.
    If you run past someone with a gun that can kill you in 1 hit and you fail to kill them and decide to ignore them because you are so caught up in attacking the enemy base/flag don't be surprised if you get killed. If you cannot get past them by killing them maybe you do not deserve to pass through. (fall back)
    Some people say it is noob. I think hitting a moving target after a 180° turn is not so noob.
    Some people say it slows down the enemy team, well that is good in my opinion. It sets the enemy under psychological pressure and shuts down attacks.
    Sure they will respawn in their base but anyone killed will respawn there and every tactic has its downside, just like not taking them out has the downside of letting through an attacker...
    It is also kinda annoying how you shouldn't be allowed to shoot back at someone trying to kill you just because they missed their shot on you, dodged past you and decided to ignore you afterwards. Often it just goes so fast that your first option to shoot is when someone already has passed you or is level with you. Some people even whine when you kill them while they are still level with you.

DMing
    DMing is Freelancing in my opinion.
    Some people say "play CTF"
    Running around killing other people disturbs the enemy team coordination and if you have a feel for the flow of the game you will always be where you are needed, whether it is shutting down an attack or sneaking to kill the EFC preventing caps or covering your FC or sealing your base. I personally do not see how this is "not playing CTF", even if you are dominating a certain area preventing people from passing through.
    This takes me to the next tactic

Camping
    You cover a more or less distant area while stationary in another area. If your positioning is good you get all the advantages I mentioned in DMing.
    On the low down you are an easy target. Ironically people who use the slow down argument won't use when it comes to camping.. as a consequence they would have to spare the camper else he will respawn in the own base and eventually camp there making it harder for attackers to assault the base (which is in my opinion a good defender)

Assing/Chasing
    Running after people and taking them out from behind. If you see a keyplayer of the enemy team or multiple attackers taking the same route and you take them out from behind you shut down powerful attacks, weaken the enemy team and clear areas for your own team to pass through.
    Some people argue that this is only because the player cannot kill them from front but you could also argue: why do you expose your back in areas you could easily be spotted and killed from another direction.

In my opinion the argument "you're not helping the team" is not very good. Is someone who always gets killed because they blindly attack the base and get easily taken out from behind because they ignore actual threats helping the team? I think youre helping your team more if you just adapt and kill the enemy DMer, Camper, backshooter...
    Overall I get the impression that all the complaints about above mentioned tactics are whining simply because you failed to adapt to anothers players playstyle and got killed or lost the game. Often it comes from Puggers; public server sessions do not have such highly organized gameplay as pugs and do not always allow you to play like you do in pugs. I don't think the tactics themselves are lame, it's more how you use them. Always only camp/dm/chase/backshoot is not the best playstyle but if done in the right situations they are powerful tactics that will increase your skill and make your team win. Be unpredictable, be adaptive, be creative.

Whining and complaining, kicking and banning, yes that is so beneficial and effective..........

I see no long term benefit for UT and its community to ban people when the playerbase is already shrinking more and more.
    Everyone plays different and they will forever play how they enjoy the game. Dictating people how to play will not help if you ask me.

In my opinion UT is a freelance shooter and anything except for cheating should be allowed especially in a public server.
    Especially in a future oriented FFA public server that is supposed to be for the people.
    Maybe uK wants to host such server, maybe not, maybe SAM, maybe Chamberly.
    Who knows? Who cares?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10525932_1550268095257122_587059022538380436_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	2205

lol hi c18

Quote Originally Posted by MaZ View Post
    Hello. My name is MaZ aka C-18 - I don't know who still remembers me.
    It's almost certain I'm gonna get flamed by people who don't know me at all after this thread so here's some introduction about me, so you at least know what you hate:
    I am VRN - The Veterans clanleader.
    I helped build ut99.org.
    I hosted and adminned a couple popular public servers.
    I organized and adminned cups and did a lot of broadcasting.
    My great love within UT always has been public servers and ingame interaction, especially bunnytrack.
    I'm a cancer patient, sure it has nothing to do with UT but it is working for me when it comes to the fatality of understanding things.
    I am an independent artist and consulting agent, I run my own company. UT and its community helped me shape the skills that are now my capital.
    I consider myself a visionary expert and the people who pay me do so, too.

I want to present to you my opinion on the InstaGib server rules and why I think there should be an additional server with no rules.

I have noticed a lot of whining and arguing coming from people on the subjects of so called backshooting, DMing, camping and assing/chasing.
    I want to radically address some of the points that are frequently made because I think those are tactics and not "laming".

It is the admins and owners' server and they set the rules and any kick and ban is justified no matter if the rules are broken or not simply because it is their server.

Backshooting
    I don't think backshooting is lame, it is merely shooting back.
    If you run past someone with a gun that can kill you in 1 hit and you fail to kill them and decide to ignore them because you are so caught up in attacking the enemy base/flag don't be surprised if you get killed. If you cannot get past them by killing them maybe you do not deserve to pass through. (fall back)
    Some people say it is noob. I think hitting a moving target after a 180° turn is not so noob.
    Some people say it slows down the enemy team, well that is good in my opinion. It sets the enemy under psychological pressure and shuts down attacks.
    Sure they will respawn in their base but anyone killed will respawn there and every tactic has its downside, just like not taking them out has the downside of letting through an attacker...
    It is also kinda annoying how you shouldn't be allowed to shoot back at someone trying to kill you just because they missed their shot on you, dodged past you and decided to ignore you afterwards. Often it just goes so fast that your first option to shoot is when someone already has passed you or is level with you. Some people even whine when you kill them while they are still level with you.

DMing
    DMing is Freelancing in my opinion.
    Some people say "play CTF"
    Running around killing other people disturbs the enemy team coordination and if you have a feel for the flow of the game you will always be where you are needed, whether it is shutting down an attack or sneaking to kill the EFC preventing caps or covering your FC or sealing your base. I personally do not see how this is "not playing CTF", even if you are dominating a certain area preventing people from passing through.
    This takes me to the next tactic

Camping
    You cover a more or less distant area while stationary in another area. If your positioning is good you get all the advantages I mentioned in DMing.
    On the low down you are an easy target. Ironically people who use the slow down argument won't use when it comes to camping.. as a consequence they would have to spare the camper else he will respawn in the own base and eventually camp there making it harder for attackers to assault the base (which is in my opinion a good defender)

Assing/Chasing
    Running after people and taking them out from behind. If you see a keyplayer of the enemy team or multiple attackers taking the same route and you take them out from behind you shut down powerful attacks, weaken the enemy team and clear areas for your own team to pass through.
    Some people argue that this is only because the player cannot kill them from front but you could also argue: why do you expose your back in areas you could easily be spotted and killed from another direction.

In my opinion the argument "you're not helping the team" is not very good. Is someone who always gets killed because they blindly attack the base and get easily taken out from behind because they ignore actual threats helping the team? I think youre helping your team more if you just adapt and kill the enemy DMer, Camper, backshooter...
    Overall I get the impression that all the complaints about above mentioned tactics are whining simply because you failed to adapt to anothers players playstyle and got killed or lost the game. Often it comes from Puggers; public server sessions do not have such highly organized gameplay as pugs and do not always allow you to play like you do in pugs. I don't think the tactics themselves are lame, it's more how you use them. Always only camp/dm/chase/backshoot is not the best playstyle but if done in the right situations they are powerful tactics that will increase your skill and make your team win. Be unpredictable, be adaptive, be creative.

Whining and complaining, kicking and banning, yes that is so beneficial and effective..........

I see no long term benefit for UT and its community to ban people when the playerbase is already shrinking more and more.
    Everyone plays different and they will forever play how they enjoy the game. Dictating people how to play will not help if you ask me.

In my opinion UT is a freelance shooter and anything except for cheating should be allowed especially in a public server.
    Especially in a future oriented FFA public server that is supposed to be for the people.
    Who knows? Who cares?
    x2.... Though I doubt they will listen
    Last edited by Akatosh; 02-11-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaZ View Post
    Who knows? Who cares?
    Public doesn t mean it has to be a low cost server, a no-rule land especially when some mod/admins spend time to moderate them . You can find a lot of empty servers here and there (certainly due to lack of new players and mod policy) where you can apply by yourself your way of gaming... why not .But, i just thought that lot of people around (as you probably may know) have worked hard to run their servers smartly and keep them friendly for rare new players and accostumed ones . Could you imagine how uK SIEGE server will turn into if we apply some of your ideas ?
    I respect your point of view as some players posting here have to respect us and our rules ..

What i mainly think..my nindô is...
    Last edited by Jst2blond; 02-11-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    Blond's copyrighted

Quote Originally Posted by Jst2blond View Post
    Public doesn t mean it has to be a low cost server, a no-rule land especially when some mod/admins spend time to moderate them . You can find a lot of empty servers here and there (certainly due to lack of new players and mod policy) where you can apply by yourself your way of gaming... why not .But, i just thought that lot of people around (as you probably may know) have worked hard to run their servers smartly and keep them friendly for rare new players and accostumed ones . Could you imagine how uK SIEGE server will turn into if we apply some of your ideas ?
    I respect your point of view as some players posting here have to respect us and our rules ..

A server public noobs and crying "respect".

A server public pro player?

Quote Originally Posted by Akatosh View Post
    A server public noobs and crying "respect".

A server public pro player?
    Sorry if i don t understand what you wanna say...but it seems that, seing at your anger , you dislike being spanked, see you in May 2015

Last edited by Jst2blond; 02-11-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    Blond's copyrighted

Backshooting, chasing, DMing, and camping are all okay under certain circumstances, those circumstances being if you're returning your flag, covering your flag carrier, or sealing your base so your team can capture the flag. Think of it this way: The server rules are designed such that both teams are able to capture as many flags as possible, so anyone who consistently makes this goal nearly impossible - via backshooting, chasing, DMing, and/or camping - is considered breaking the rules, because it ruins the fun for (most) other players and will ultimately lead to decreased server activity. It is selfish for a few players to ruin the fun for the majority of other players just because those few players prefer cheap frags over capturing the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jst2blond View Post
    To be the next Hokage!
    Season ranks: MLSG - #45 Semis, MLSG II - #38 Finals, MLSG III - #34 Finals, GU.Siege - #32 5th Place, IST - #11 CHAMPION

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    Hi maz good to see you here. (Old friends of anyones wondering) anyway to address the issue its like tim said, I'm all for smart olay and the backshoot or chase whatever is considered lame as long as it is benefetting your own team. Its when theres some useless person doing it while neither team has flag or is just being lame on purpose to annoy others or another individual or just he a regular nuisance is when the rules come into play...

Thread Information