BAN ALIASING

User Tag List

Thread: BAN ALIASING

BAN ALIASING

Ref: http://www.unrealkillers.com/f44/bal...aliasing-3274/

There are really good players, who alias (sometimes under absolutely ridiculous names *cough* *cough*youknowwhoyouare*Cough*). The fact that they register a new nick and come in means that they start with a base cookie count. This causes massive imbalance as the "SmartCTF" attempts to sort teams based on the cookie count for each player, which presumably makes for a well-balanced set of teams.

So what happens when these fucking people come in with some random bullshit nickname? They get placed on a team which is nominally weaker, and then we have matches where the score is 17 to 2.

Therefore, I propose a simple method for sorting out aliasing.

Let them alias.

It's assumed each player has a unique ID, right? so can't this unique ID be used to track the player in smartCTF?

Am I posting absolute nonsense here or is there something (admittedly simple) to this?

I could care less what the names are, as long as there's some semblance of normalization of teams otherwise ...shit gets frustrating real quick.

Thats all. peace.

My cookies don't change when I use different nicks, still have 90 -120 on the combo server. I know a certain character that will reset your cookies pretty much every time you go in the server hours apart, found out by accident lol. It could of just been a coincidence though, i would go into the server and hHVA 50 cookies, gone up to 80-90 in a few games, then I'll come back later to find my cookies reset, with the same nick might i add.

This might of just been to do with my connection crashing 100 times a day, and I just got another IP several times a day.

@neuralfraud thanks. We definitely had not thought of that before!

yea yea how am I supposed to know what you have and have not thought of before?

If simply changing your nickname doesn't necessarily trick the server then there probably isn't really much of a problem. I apologize for using a such a clickbait subject. Most of the time it seems teams end up being stacked and I don't really understand how the entire system works in the first place, so I'm more or less just ranting based on observation.

it would certainly be *nice* *if* the stats calculated multi-dimensional "cookies" based on other attributes, such as a player's likelihood to run the flag, cap the flag, or strongly defend a carrier - its certainly possible ...oh, shit. I know ...you've thought of that too?

That would be far too difficult. There'd be too many things to take into account and unfortunately. One day I may feel like running. The next day feel like covering. The way the rules are set, there should be specific position one plays. Anyway.

What really needs to be changed is the point system, there are noobs with 40 kills and 400 points who just hide for flag kills, and then you have a flag runner with 3 or 4 caps with only 200.

The balancer should reset the players time if they have been in spec for a long time, instead of it taking off stupid amounts of cookies if someone joins later.

Quote Originally Posted by UT-Sniper-SJA94 View Post
    What really needs to be changed is the point system, there are noobs with 40 kills and 400 points who just hide for flag kills
    lmao it's true

Aliasing sure does cause uneven teams:

Unreal Tournament Stats - Powered by UTStats 11 - 2,
    Unreal Tournament Stats - Powered by UTStats 5 - 13,
    Unreal Tournament Stats - Powered by UTStats 1 - 14

The balancer is useless full stop.

Thread Information