User Tag List

Not sure if this has been asked before but .....

When did you start playing Unreal Tournament? Why did you pick UT or how did you get started playing UT? How did you decide on your nickname?

For me it happened at the start of 2000, I believe UT came out in November of 1999. My co-worker's stayed late after work for LAN games but not me I had a family to go home to. In mid January I had to stay late one night and they invited me to play and all i remember was the sniper rifle a few of the original weapons and playing a few of the original maps. I only played it a few times over the next few months but in April I was laid off, was told to wait about six months and I would be brought back on staff. I spent those next six months playing UT. I don't remember the servers but I remember a few of the original clans I came across. Soon after playing as I searched the server lists I found HZA Shorty's server, I think he went by a different nick in HZA but went by Shorty on his own server. I also met a guy name Dissed and those two are the few I played with mostly everyday during this time I was laid off. Soon after he brought in the BinSlayer mod and then asked if I would join his clan MOD. It was Shorty, FoolKilla or PhatKilla and myself originally. I got pretty good early on, and slowly watched and helped others learn and then trying them out and bringing them into the clan. Before I knew it we were lining up tournaments against other clans like U2K, SOD, DBA, CODE and a few others. Way back in those early years I met many players and a few that are still around and a few that are here in UK. I played off and on over the years and taking a few years break in between.

My nickname goes back to day one, BustaBusta but not for reasons most would assume. I came from a very poor family, I am the youngest and got all the hand me downs. A long story short, we had a bin full of old hand me down shoes, so at one point around age 9 I had put on some brown ass shoes and my brother laughed and said "you heard of Buster Browns right?" and I replied "yeah" and he said those aren't Buster Browns but they are bustabusta browns. That stuck with my to this day, followed by years of telling my mom I was no longer going to be poor and work my ass off in the fields like I had and my entire family had all theirs lives. I told my mom I would get a good job, work in air conditioning and never be broke again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	386px-buster_is_coming.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	2488
    Last edited by utbusta; 08-02-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: forgot to attach photo

Cool busta, I like a good read. Except that was obvious you picked that as your nick lol.

I started playing UT in Summer of 2011. One of my ex-bf brought my attention to it and I sit and watch, I had no clue what is exactly going on. So... I just pick my name Chamberly just to play... but I never played in any online fps game so I guess it was pretty dull guess but I like to see my name shining anywhere.

The first server I played on is One Man Army sniper server (aka [OMA]) and they still exist. Crouching and rapidfire sniper, I was a complete noob yet they dealt with me running around on their camping server sometimes lol and they literally spawn rape me on 1 map that only have 1 spawn point or so... that was fkn awful lol. End up exploring large maps which is pretty known as map tour, still love doing map tour, and got a glimp of how to camp lol.

Later in a few weeks, [OMA]Killer_Loop invited me to play Bunnytrack and I had NO idea what was going on. I still remember the map I was playing on but can't remember the name, but it was so weird. Everyone was so chatty like it was another AOL Chatroom.
    Then somehow I end up on a monster hunt server, Unimatrix 01 (aka <U01>) and played there for awhile (also used <U01>Chamberly nickname) because my internet connection was extremely crap, thanks to ISDN. -.- I kept calling the ISP every-single-time when I get a mail saying I could get DSL... this took 3 years actually, wayy before 2011.
    & Again, another thing happening in OMA server, [ZSZ]Scay invited me to play on Zark Sniper Zone (ZSZ still exist too)... I found it and went there for some and I keep blowing myself up with the no-run mod and getting kicked for having so many death. Didn't took too long to figure that out. Sometimes in December I joined the ZSZ clan and I use [ZSZ-R]Chamberly for recruit clan tag which took like a month and then [ZSZ]Chamberly. Found out more about stuff within UT and community from there... so much path.
    Left ZSZ later, joined TKK (around 2012 I think, as ]TKK-R[Chamberly and that recruit took like 6 months, became ]TKK[Chamberly nearly on my birthday yay)as my preferred and favorite camping clan. Still with them, playing on fraggednation matches on Camping In The Extreme ladder. I've played on other ladder and hosted my own with a favor of invite to do so for a 1v1 Zark ladder as {C-oPs}Canny was the Game Director there and some other people I was working with like [FuN]Ivor, can't remember many other dang names lol... and 1v1 Sniper Freestyle [USA] awhile Bianca from Germany manage the 1v1 Sniper Freestyle [Euro]. Saw some pretty interesting thing how it work out, it was pretty good!
    Meanwhile the activity dropped with no server and no forum from TKK, I end up lurking around on other server playing many other games as I can (and trying to find ]TKK[GiZMO... where are you girl? I can't bypass the frigging 99 Fav server limit so that was my crap to deal with. Played in many sniper camping server, some freestyle, a few Normal Weapon and CTF (mostly instagib) and having some private 1v1 sessions practice almost every night with a few guy ([ZSZ]Scay, [XiS]Joey, [FuN]Fizz, ]TKK[Puzzle, [XiS]SniperWolf, some other can't remember atm) for a couple of months and that was intense. Meanwhile I made my server and got my first sniper mod there and it took awhile to learn it because gameserver like to keep crashing like a d*ck.

So I went on the bunnytrack SAM house again... found a group of peoples and that bor4us invited me to his server to practice some maps as a trainer for me. Spent a few month on that and got pass the noob bt level, still playing on many other maps which increase my skill and practice almost every other time. Meanwhile I visited this unrealkillers forum and joined here (Yes, I'm on almost every UT forum EVER... you find me everywhere!) and .seVered.][ was talking to me and getting me involved with siege. Meanwhile he keep inviting me to the morning after server, training me in there so I know what to do and not get banned from the public server because I'm very picky not to join server if I don't know the rules. Around this time, I got a part time job, which reduce my time playing UT partly.
    Playing on the morning after server and meeting Higor was pretty awesome. Got invited to the IRC channel which I decided to try... I had a limewire/frostwire bad experience from IRC as someone was hacking into my cousin's server lel. Took awhile to get used to it but got a hang of it.. it was kind of like a modding foundation, I got pretty interested into that and end up learning more about UT and siege from there. So I end up here often and participated/play regularly. I've made 3 maps (some other not released yet), few mods, some mutators, and a few other things. I also like helping peoples so I do that sometimes when I can, when it involved with client management, server, or mod or anything, it's nice. & banning peoples who breaking rules intentionally on the server. :P Yeah, I'll bite. I'm also a Forum Moderator at Fraggednation for now, just no competition admin on there for now. I'm aka ]TKK[**Akemi on there. I used Akemi nick because I like Japanese, and it have a translated meaning. I been an anime fan. lol.
    Joined CoD| clan for a bit, lasted awhile then I left that. Played with {S.o.W} clan for some. & joined .pX... but still sticking around and hanging with the modders which is always at my best interest heh. Can't beat that.

Later I might end up not having enough UT times because of my job, I may end up with a full time shift sometimes in January 2016 or so... I'll still stop by and play anytime and whatever regardless when I'm free. Single life ain't pulling a big load on me so I'm great. Lmao. I think this is most of my UT story so unless I remember something I'll come back and edit. I like writing big book.

I also have a photobucket with screenshots from wayyyback. I haven't been updating it lately but I have a lot to upload, and I'm gonna need to borrow a faster internet for that because it'll take more than 1 week or 2 to upload all the one from my internet (sorry but less than 1MB s*cks!) but I'll leave a link to it anyway. Unreal Tournament by C B | Photobucket dunno if the link work for you or not. :P

Editing spree!
    Something I forgot to add:
    When I was playing on -=CoN=- sniper server, I end up picking up the nickname Embertactic the way my gamestyle I thought kinda suite me. It's a mix of sniper camping and freestyle, so after getting killed sometimes, I was respawning and killing the player as soon as possible when I find them when I know where they are at or even not. Lovely jokes on teamspeak, been lots of fun. Still can't forget the spawnbot comment I was laughing so hard.

I played Unreal with someone over from 333networks, got a full idea how the map was played with the translator (No wonder why there were BOOKS in MH!) and I end up picking up Vandora name from the game, and not many peoples played Unreal to know about Vandora. I picked this name up sometime last year I think.
    Last edited by Chamberly; 08-03-2015 at 12:35 AM.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

march 2009, a friend invited me to play it gave me the game on a pendrive, my nickname/username? its my real name...very creative from me huh

I was in 5th grade when I first started playing UT, back in 2001, and i spent all my time playing it, eventually my step-dad, the one who gave me the game to play, decided he'd try it out. He then eventually got my mom to start playing it as well. After about a year or so my mom and step-dad founded the [FBI] Clan along with a few people they played with, it was camping/sniper clan, and it stood for "Fatal Ballistic Instinct". I played with the older peeps for about a year or so and then was brought on as a Junior member and then later a full member. They hated my concept of sniping, which is how it should be done, take a few people out, trans-locate to another spot not too far away and stay there, and so on and so forth. They tried to tell me I was R&Ging(Runnin and gunnin) but they found out my style was a lot more successful. I got bored of the camping play-style and founded a binslayer/IG clan called the {HoA} ,"Horsemen of the Apocalypse", around 2005, we ended up turning into a clan called {FG} ,"Fair Gamers". We were pretty successful but in 07 my computer fried(Fair Gamers lived on but later died out) because my sister knocked a cup of soda off of my desktop and it spilled all over my tower and didn't say anything, later I went to turn on my PC, got one flicker of power, a burnt plastic smell and then it was gone...

So after nearly 8 years out of action I finally got a computer and been giving it a whirl again, since march, btw I really miss the gametype "Last Man Standing", dearly.

My original nickname was SteelSniper007(2001-2003), then it eventually changed to [FBI]~SpAzZ~(2003-2007), because that was my nickname given to me by my family and friends on UT because of how out of control and spastic I was.

My nickname is now superbad (it was .|kraken|. for a very short time), i picked this name due to my skill level compared to Gods that populate whats left of the UT community.|

Anyways, I really enjoy playing on the servers!But, we should definitely try to be more friendly to new people, I see alot of people attempt to play UT99 and then get shutdown, treated badly and encouraged to stop playing just because they're new and trying to learn. We should encourage new players to stick around rather than scare them off. I know most regulars here welcome any and all new people but if you're in the server you should try to discourage the pros from badmouthing the new peeps...
    Last edited by Kraken360; 08-03-2015 at 01:33 AM.

My brother came back from spain back in 1999, and he had a CD with three demos:
    - Descent 3
    - Seven Kingdoms 2
    - Unreal Tournament
    I bought UT and 7k2 a year later, got their source code(s) lately and modded for both. (PD: Those two are the only two games I actually bought)
    I only got online around 2006-7 with MH, taught the kids in the cafes to play MH online (no one would DM with me, I was 5 times the player I am today)... and every week or so I'd grab the cache folders with a flash drive because I didn't have a DSL connection myself at home.

What i'd have given to have early access to DSL and UT's golden days.
    I guess most of my work is making up for not having been there, except for FerBotz... that was started in 2004 in order to have better bots lol.

~XC_Fer

--- Updated ---

My setup back then (99):
    - Pentium 2 - 333mhz
    - 32 MB Ram
    - Trident Blade AGP 8mb
    - Creative Sound Blaster 16
    - 4 GB IDE HDD
    - Windows 98
    D3D7 renderer at 50 FPS @640x480
    That I remember, only 1 out of 10 computers could run DirectX.

--- Updated ---

2002 specs:
    - Pentium 2 - 400 mhz
    - Windows 98 SE
    - 96 MB Ram
    - NVidia Riva TNT2 32mb
    - Same sound card
    - Same HDD
    - Windows 98 SE (XP was disgusting back then)
    UT would run at 60FPS @800x600, D3D7.
    The new D3D8 renderer was terrible with RAM management, made it impossible to play on <256MB machines.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

I can't really remember exactly when I first played UT must of been ~ 2002 - 2004, I would just play CTF-face with novice bots for hours, we used to get our computers from my uncle and he would install some games and UT was one of them.

Going by the screen shots I have (print screen + paint ) I started playing online around 18/02/11 on some rocket face servers untill about the 22/02/11, and stopped until about 06/05/11, and ever since then I've been addicted to UT ever since (replacing my addiction for gta-sa). Back then I was playing on a 3g dial so you could imagine how bad it was, I would ping about 200 on servers that where less than 50 miles away from where I lived.

My nick even though I never played sniper arena until last year was UT-Sniper-SJA94, I used the sniper rifle on gears of war 2 that's where the sniper bit came from, UT is a bit of lack of creativity, and SJA94 is a lot of lack of creativity.

List of mods I've been addicted to:
    Rocket arena,
    SLV,
    Combogib,
    Instagib

My first two screen shots:

I played the UT99 demo in 320x240 software rendering when it came out on a disc from a pc game magazine. My former best friend had a decent gaming rig, the full retail version of UT and we played DM online. A year later Q3 was published and my friend switched permanently. Q3 wouldn't run on my pc so I gave Q2 a try. I started dabbling in modding but nothing worthwhile ever came out of it.

I had an idea involving dark magic from the Harry Potter universe as an alternative to classical deathmatch with weapons. All you would have was a sorcerer's wand and 10 spells or so. The project never took off. It's sad when I think about it. Would have been pretty neat.

In 2011 I found Deux Ex and I realized it was the same game engine as UT99. The look & feel was perfect so I gave UT another chance a few months later in 2012.

I found the UK servers pretty easily, failed in BT, failed in CTF and I'm still failing in Siege.

I don't know why I chose this nickname but it is of no real importance to me. The things on my desk usually give me my ideas.

Thread Information