UT99 and Linux

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UT99 and Linux

UT99 and Linux

I used Linux for the first time today and loved it (I had to install it on a usb flash drive because of a hard drive failing on a laptop).

Does Unreal Tournament run on Linux, or is it too much messing around to get it to work right? I'm thinking of doing a dual boot so I can have windows for games, and Linux for programming and everyday use, but I'm just wondering if ut would run on Linux as good, or better than windows 8.1.

Just install WINE. It probably has better support now than when I used it roughly 6 years ago. Probably has hardware acceleration now.

Quote Originally Posted by UT-Sniper-SJA94 View Post
    I used Linux for the first time today and loved it (I had to install it on a usb flash drive because of a hard drive failing on a laptop).

Does Unreal Tournament run on Linux, or is it too much messing around to get it to work right? I'm thinking of doing a dual boot so I can have windows for games, and Linux for programming and everyday use, but I'm just wondering if ut would run on Linux as good, or better than windows 8.1.
    A friend got a laptop but unfortunately his HDD will die soon (imminent failure), unable to start win 8.1, even after 20 min launching, still crash. What do i need to install linux and launch it via USB. Do you have some links to show me ? Does it can help us saving old datas from laptop ?
    Edit :I can't enter setup or bios so i suppose it is definitevely dead...#ImminentHddFailureDell
    Last edited by Jst2blond; 10-27-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Blond's copyrighted

Quote Originally Posted by Jst2blond View Post
    A friend got a laptop but unfortunately his HDD will die soon (imminent failure), unable to start win 8.1, even after 20 min launching, still crash. What do i need to install linux and launch it via USB. Do you have some links to show me ? Does it can help us saving old datas from laptop ?
    Edit :I can't enter setup or bios so i suppose it is definitevely dead...#ImminentHddFailureDell

The laptop I have the HD is completely dead, it sounds like a floppy disc drive, and when the laptop starts it goes straight to bios.

I followed this tutorial: How to Install a Linux OS in your USB Flash Drive and turn it into a Portable App Suite - All You need at least 4gb flash drive.

The laptop is only 1 years old...

@Jst2blond

Why want to install Linux?? You can create an unattended install USB using
    Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    @Jst2blond

Why want to install Linux?? You can create an unattended install USB using
    Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
    I can't enter Bios, don't really want install Linux, just trying to find a way to repair his comp, at least save old datas (photos, movies and so on) and replace his Hdd with a new ( which i probably can't do because i am pretty he doesn't have recovery Cds.. )
    His comp is only 14 months years old with a fucking western digital HDD almost dead....
    Have to wait looooong time to launch it then, i try to save datas and always freeze after 1 or 2 mo loaded...
    If you have another solution to solve this...it is welcome
    Blond's copyrighted

I can't tell how many flash drive I have and most of them are not being in use. Might as well use 1 for linux as well. :>

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Make sure to set a persistent size so you can save changes on your usb drive, otherwise it won't save anything once you shut down.

Posting from my Linux setup on my main PC

You can use the native UT client if you have the original UT99 cd's, works fine as long as you get to setup the audio driver.
    You won't be able to play on any of the uK servers though.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

I only use Winblow$ for UT99 and sometimes play UT99 on (arch) linux with wine. The "loki" installer doesn't work anymore since you need some deprecated version(2.x?) of gtk (gnome tool kit). I did hack it somehow once but it was a supreme pain for uranus. Playing UT99 in wine still has some odd quirks but it works for the most part. A lot of it depends on your hardware and the 3d support for it in Linux. The hardware issue isn't as much of a problem with modern machines. Older hardware was often built exclusively for Winblow$ and often the drivers are proprietary so you won't find (legal) support in Linux.

@Jst2blond I do this a lot. I usually take the hard drive out and use an adapter or an enclosure to connect the HD via USB to a working Linux computer. Most all "distros" have testdisk installed by default. If it's not included in your distro, you can easily install it with your distribution's package manager. I usually use a specialized distro called "PartedMagic" for these kinds of repairs, diagnostics and even hd cloning. PartedMagic is just an optimized collection of software available in most Linux distros making things a bit easier than tracking down all the programs you might need. Be aware, though, that the HD may never ever spin up again. Sometimes you can just keep trying and it will work enough to gather the data you want.. eventually. I had a customer once with an HD problem that took many attempts. Some of those attempts I cancelled since it was taking many, many hours. I finally decided to just leave it running and after a few days I got almost all of his files off the drive. There are also some vids on youtube that show you how to "fix" a stuck spindle, borked read head, etc. This guy has some good vids but there are others. Don't listen to the "industry experts" who tell you that you can't do it at home. Even a professional data recovery service will condemn the drive once the data is recovered. It's already screwed so you'll likely not screw it up anymore than it is. However, if you want to submit your drive to a pro then you should probably not mess with the drive. Pros are crazy expensive, though.

Thread Information