Thinking of upgrading motherboard/CPU/RAM - Page 2

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @Sheepy the 970 seems to be more than sufficient for me right now. I can run any game at a constant 145 fps with most eye candy set to maximum. That includes the latest meshed version of DM-Chill on the poorly optimized UE4. Have you tried overclocking your CPU and GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    throw my current one in the bin
    let me know when that happens , I will gladly empty it
    soma - a happiness drug in Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'

I followed your plan somewhat but shrunk it to itx size, http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PMcLcc . I've been using discarded and cannibalized boxes for so long it's like if xmas only came once every 10 years to have something so new and shiny and delicious. I left off the GPU so far, hoping for big $ drops in the 9xx series. I have a Sapphire 7850 but it seems to be from a batch of seconds and I don't really like the CCC but I may try it out sometime. The onboard hd530 handles S3TC in UT99 at 1080p@144hz pretty well.

But the most extraordinary bench so far is with the 850 pro. Green is the vanilla install, cyan is after enabling "Rapid Mode" and blue is after enabling a 4 gig(ish) ram cache on top. It seems almost impossibru and I'm wondering if this can be right...

I'm looking to build a PC soon.
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheLeviathan/saved/

Already got a 750watt gold PSU by EVGA, a Noctua NH-D15S, and a 1tb HD. Just collecting the parts as they go on sale.

Upgraded GPU to 1080 Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
    Upgraded GPU to 1080 Ti.

Nice. % gains?

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Nice. % gains?
    Good question. I didn't realize until after I ran the above benchmark that I ran the same benchmark (Heaven 4.0) on my 970 last year at a lower resolution + windowed. It would be easier to tell what the actual % gains are if I ran at same resolution. Pretty good gains though overall I think. I was getting like 70-100 fps in Rust on low settings with my 970. Now I'm getting 120-145 fps on high settings (framerate limited to 145 fps so it could probably go higher).

I see you play rust quite a bit. Just could never get into those survival type games....Always had those trolls who said friendly, they ask you for something to eat and as you hand them something they gouge you to death.

Troll games.

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    I see you play rust quite a bit. Just could never get into those survival type games....Always had those trolls who said friendly, they ask you for something to eat and as you hand them something they gouge you to death.

Troll games.
    LOL. Yeah that's Rust in a nutshell. Trust no one. Absolutely no one unless you know they're in your group. There's a lot to Rust. Survival is a small part of it and is mostly important at the beginning.

The real fun of Rust is:

1) Building a base. Every base build is usually different. You have to take a lot into account... like the terrain + security + defense + how easy (hard) it is for someone else to raid your base. You usually store all your loot (everything you've earned) in your base so it better be good.

2) Finding the components to craft good gear and weapons, or finding weapons at an airdrop which doesn't happen often, so you're almost guaranteed to have to fight other groups for it. Some weapons and gear (armor) are of course better (and thus, rarer) than others.

3) After you get some decent gear and tools you either A) farm more resources (stone, wood, components, etc.) or B) find other people who are farming and kill them and take their shit. There's also option C where you try to find other people who are geared up and you kill them and take their weapons/armor. If you lose the battle though, they'll be the ones taking your gear. Not a good feeling lol. It's good to have some backup gear in base. But if you win, that's how you can get a lot of good gear and/or resources really fast and get a snowball effect going.

4) Raiding bases. There are a few different ways to raid bases. Early on, you either want to A) use a flamethrower (which you have to gather resources to craft of course) to get into wooden bases, B) find flaws in someone's base that allows you to get in (usually by boosting into the top) or C) camp outside someone's door and kill them as they open it and hope that they don't have an airlock so that you can go deep into it and steal their loot. Later on, if you gather enough resources (sulfur -> gunpowder -> explosives -> rockets and C4), you can blow into other bases around you and hope you make it to their loot before you run out of explosives. This attracts a lot of attention so be prepared for "counterraiders" to come and try to ruin the fun and take your rockets, so you better have good guns and armor with you while you raid!
    Last edited by TimTim; 04-08-2017 at 05:36 AM.

just upgraded myself for the first time since 2009

I7-7700k
    PNY XLR8 GTX 1070
    GSKILL TRIDENT Z 16GB DDR4
    Last edited by UNrealshots; 04-08-2017 at 06:08 AM.

·=GU II sDOM >3paco Finalist =· ·=GU saDM I Semi Finalist=· ·=GU I PBR Quarter Finalist=· ·=GU II roflnation Winner=· ·=GU III \\cG Semi Finalist=· ·=GU IV \\'. Finalist=· ·=GU V iB. Winner=· ·=OW I iCTF Finalist=· ·=ClanBase DIV3 iCTF WINNER ]eLc[=·

Thread Information