strange lag - Page 3

User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: strange lag

Quote Originally Posted by Higor View Post
    EXTREME COMPUTER BUILDING
    Always go for that option.
    I've never custom built a computer before , is there any brands I should avoid at all cost when looking for parts?

I'm only looking to build/buy a mid-range gaming computer, I don't really like any modern games, but I would like to be able to play UT4 at decent fps. It will be nice to be able to multitask without my computer freezing, I really like visual studio but this computer is just too useless to run it without it freezing when I click on something, be nice to use photoshop as well so I can make nice looking websites.

Well, the way to go when building isn't exactly 'separate parts' but instead step by steps.

- Platform
    Get a nice MotherBoard + CPU combo to start with, think of them as one single piece whenever you want to take into consideration price, power consumption, capabilities.
    It is also the starting point whenever you decide to go for a GFX card or rely on integrated graphics.
    Let's just say that nowadays, you're good to go with at least 3 CPU threads, so any quad core cpu (or i5) would be enough, you're not running a bitcoin miner pls.

Once you chose the platform, you can work around it.

- Memory.
    Grab random sticks or do Dual Channels if you wish, while games do intensive memory usage, it's nowhere near as intensive as server applications and databases so dual channels aren't as noticeable as they're trying to make you believe.
    Bear in mind that decently coded games will cache their textures and models in the graphics card memory.
    DO GO FOR DUAL CHANNEL IF YOU'RE RELYING ON INTEGRATED GRAPHICS (without dedicated memory).
    Regarding memory size, 32 bit apps cannot allocate more than 2gb RAM unless they have specific OS flags (or something like that), then an OS like Win7 or 8 will allocate a minimum of 800mb (excessive) and the SysWow64 will take another 300mb to run 32 bit apps.
    Take 4 GB if you want decent performance on they new bloatware based OS's, or 6-8gb if you want to alt-tab a lot (not gonna be possible with 4gb) or develop.

- Storage
    Whatever you want, SSD's are cool if you like seeing your OS boot in less than 15 seconds or are running databases/developer applications, otherwise keep that money for something else.

- PSU.
    Is there any non-SLI/crossfire setup to our reach that doesn't run with a 550W 80+ PSU?
    You won't be needing anything bigger than that.

- GFX card.
    Knock yourself out, just don't forget to watch some graphs at TomsHardware to figure out how well it performs at certain conditions (and compared to others).
    IMO Spending anything over 250 bucks on a GFX card is luxury territory.

- Case.
    Whatever.

Bottom line is... I absolutely didn't name a product, it all depends on how much you want to spend... of course i left some parameters to consider.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

You forgot to mention how awful Seagate hard drives are. They're cheap and last about a year, sometimes more if you're REALLY lucky

I'd go with an i5 personally. 4690k IMO. Take into consideration on getting an aftermarket cooler. i5/i7's and especially Haswell CPU's run hot, even with the stock included. I bought a Rosewill cooler which was better than stock but I put it on my i5 and my idle temps were high, even when I was watching Youtube videos (50c). I purchased a 212 Evo and noticed a big difference. Idle is low 20's and gaming it doesn't even get close to 40. It's currently the best aftermarket cooler for a budget build. Take into consideration on getting a big enough case that fits it.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper View Post
    You forgot to mention how awful Seagate hard drives are. They're cheap and last about a year, sometimes more if you're REALLY lucky
    5 years and counting for my external seagate HD

Thanks for your advice I will have a look around.

Just had a quick look on one website. just wrote a few down,

Motherboards:
    Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Intel Z97 HDMI DVI-I DSUB ATX Motherboard
    MSI Z97-G43 Intel LGA1150 HDMI ATX http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z97-G43-.../dp/B00K8KKB5Q

Processors:
    Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz 6MB L3 Cache Quad Core
    Intel i5-4670K 3.4GHz 6MB L3 Cache Quad Core

Case:
    Cooler Master K380 Midi Tower

Will have a longer look later.

Quote Originally Posted by UT-Sniper-SJA94 View Post
    5 years and counting for my external seagate HD

Thanks for your advice I will have a look around.
    See I find this really strange. Seagate HD's are known for being so bad. Mine lasted about 9 months and just gave up on me (I regularly clean and take care of my baby too). However, I have also had multiple friends have seagate HD's last forever. It is just strange. IDK if you have to be lucky or what, but I would still avoid seagate at all costs. I'm a fan of Western Digital HD's myself. Never had one go on me.

The only other thing I have to add is to not over-invest in a psu. Higor metioned it up there. A lot of people like to buy psu's that are hundreds of watts more powerful than the setup they need. It is a waste of electricity, which is a waste of money over time. And you will just end up having it lose its max output capabilities. If your system only needs 500watts, then, eventually, that 950 watt psu you invested in will only be able to put out a max of around 500 watts anyways. Make sure you do have a little spare power though incase you do want to add on to the pc later. You may be able to avoid having to buy a whole other psu just because you upgraded your graphics card or something.

Also, stay away from anything touched by ACER. Just. Stay. Away. They don't make/sell individual parts, but for monitors and such you should still avoid it at all costs.
    Fierd_0/Doppelganger/Donutdan

Quote Originally Posted by BiGbOsS View Post
    See I find this really strange. Seagate HD's are known for being so bad. Mine lasted about 9 months and just gave up on me (I regularly clean and take care of my baby too). However, I have also had multiple friends have seagate HD's last forever. It is just strange. IDK if you have to be lucky or what, but I would still avoid seagate at all costs. I'm a fan of Western Digital HD's myself. Never had one go on me.
    Might just be the same as the original xbox360(white), just have to be lucky to get one that doesn't break after a few days.

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    Look out for the recently built ones that people get rid of because their moving or need the money for something else or just lost their job etc. They usually build the best custom computers. Honestly if you saw some of the components on the one sam got for £600 it was worth at least £1200...

Quote Originally Posted by |uK|B|aZe//. View Post
    Look out for the recently built ones that people get rid of because their moving or need the money for something else or just lost their job etc. They usually build the best custom computers. Honestly if you saw some of the components on the one sam got for £600 it was worth at least £1200...
    I did see some i7 quad core + 2gb gfx and 16gb ram for £400-£600 (very close to where i live as well), I am taking more of an interest in getting one from gumtree. I could buy one of the crap ones on there for about £150, and it will still be miles better than this pc.

Quote Originally Posted by BiGbOsS View Post
    I'm a fan of Western Digital HD's myself.
    Woop! I think I have both Seagate and WD in my PC. Didn't have problem with them so far, so about less than 5 year or so whenever I got them.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

Thread Information