UT99 in 2013 ?? - Page 2

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UT99 in 2013 ??

Enhancing the graphical fidelity of UT99 would be nice IF the art style remained the same. That seems to be where Epic really fucked up at when they did the later games, including UT3 which looked like it was built using recycled Gears assets. Unreal (and later UT99) was developed to look photo-realistic, but take place in fantasy environments and at the time when CRT monitors generally maxed out at 640x480, it did manage to look extremely realistic when compared to a movie or television broadcast that would be watched in standard (or actually less unless you had cable and DVD) definition. Which reminds me, the closest to an actual successor that UT99 got as far as atmosphere, feel, sound, and visuals are concerned is Unreal Championship (original) for the XBox which was basically everything that UT2003 (which was based off that project, but went a different direction) SHOULD have been.

btw, just to give you guys an idea of how far display technology has advanced, take a look at this game. THE VISUALS IN THE DRIVING SEGMENTS OF THIS GAME WERE (almost) ON THE SAME LEVEL AS A TELEVISION BROADCAST OVER HERE WHEN IT GOT RELEASED!!!
    Last edited by Lee_Stricklin; 01-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.

yo,

Thanks for watching and sharing,

UPDATE: since many ask on IRC how to get those S3TC :

Step 1 : DL UT.Epic.S3TC.Installer.exe and UT.Epic.S3TC.Textures.cab from this link Index of /UT/TexturePacks into your UT FILE (not system)
    Step 2: Do not Extract anything, Open the Installer.exe, CHOOSE your UT folder , it will install Everything and it will make a UT S3TC Descktop Shortcut.(use it for enable it )

DONE, you have now 2 UT, one Normal and one S3TC.

If u fucking fail at doing this way, Wich shouldnt cause its easy, There's an other way to do it, but chicken says to me its not the good way but I did,poker did it, tim did it and it worked perfectly,
    1- Dl only the CAb file
    2- Extract the cab File into your Texture file
    3- Open your UT.ini, Find S3TC (theres 2 or 3 of them to switch False to True, Make u sure you got ALl the them

That's it

S3TC is just one of the 3 different Texture Packages, High end and Extrem one Looks even better, but maybe too much detailed (my opinion) for competitive gaming since skins are not HD.

The best thing you could do is to keep your ut, install 2-3 fresh ut, put ur ut and user ini, and install to each one a texture package and try them on...

On a final Note : If you want to sharpen your texture like mine, you will need to have a negative Lodbias like -2 instead of a positive one that blurs everything, look under your renderer ( D3d9) ...

CHekc out my newest vid

I only played with the colors, but you can see that stalwart doesnt look the same, If you play stalwart on high end texture, the floor is RED !!!
    Last edited by Rope-a-dope; 01-22-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Compare S3TC vs high end :

S3TC always first ...

Is there a big difference between High End and Extreme End textures? They are way more bigger in size.

There is a MAJOR difference, however there was also an issue with the Decayed S package the last I checked and I'm not sure if Diehard ever got around to fixing that. A work around for that is to just used the Decayed S included with the high end pack instead. Hopefully that issue will get fixed (if it hasn't already) as the extreme end version is of a ludicrously higher res. On another note, wow someone actually made an installer for Diehard's textures? Crazy. Also, is the S3TC option just for the textures that were included on disc 2 of the game? Because if so, DO NOT install them, they will cause the infamous frozen animation skating glitch. The UTRP textures made by Diehard however won't.

Also, while we're at it. You should grab yourself Old Unreal Multimedia Update for your sound.
    http://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html
    Last edited by Lee_Stricklin; 01-22-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Hey Lee_Stricklin, Installed thé multimédia in hope to get a better surround sound,(is that OK to go surround on a good stereo headset? ) which one do you use, Al or Fmod one. I quickly tested Al since I read it was more detailed but I could heard some backfire sound coming from weapons at some point ???? It happen like once every 3 mins ?

Also, I've hoped to complety remove ambient sound such as the flying bugs in duku ?

I'm wondering if I could also play with the sound of specific things such as raising footsteps and spawns and reducing weapon sound so I can concentrate on surround sound when playing d

I'm away from home but I will test more later.

Also Lee, what's your thoughs about d3d9 vs opengl and s3tc vs high end or extreme end ?
    Last edited by Rope-a-dope; 01-22-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rope-a-dope View Post
    Hey Lee_Stricklin, Installed thé multimédia in hope to get a better surround sound,(is that OK to go surround on a good stereo headset? ) which one do you use, Al or Fmod one. I quickly tested Al since I read it was more detailed but I could heard some backfire sound coming from weapons at some point ???? It happen like once every 3 mins ?

Also, I've hoped to complety remove ambient sound such as the flying bugs in duku ?

I'm wondering if I could also play with the sound of specific things such as raising footsteps and spawns and reducing weapon sound so I can concentrate on surround sound when playing d

I'm away from home but I will test more later.

Also Lee, what's your thoughs about d3d9 vs opengl and s3tc vs high end or extreme end ?
    FMOD fails to load for me and will cause game to not launch if I switch to it. It should also be noted that due to how much superior the new sound drivers are to the Galaxy one, that flaws in the source material may be exposed at times. The latest OpenGL should be used over Direct3D9. Direct3D 10 however may be a different story as there is parallax mapping available for it (which makes the textures pop out and appear 3D), but enabling such options is very GPU intensive. Here's a site about Direct3D 10. As for textures, almost anyone with a significant amount of memory should be able to install the Extreme End textures. In fact, when the original versions of those textures were made in 2008, I had them installed on a system with a 64 bit 256 MB PCI (not PCIE) Geforce 6200, with a 32 bit 3GHz 478 socket Pentium 4 HT, and 512 MB of DDR1.
    Unreal engine Direct3D 10 renderer - kentie.net
    Last edited by Lee_Stricklin; 01-29-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Thread Information