My Machine WARNING: IMAGE INTENSIVE!! - Page 3

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    gaming notebook
    I wasn't even aware they did gaming netbooks, don't think I would ever buy one, only a gaming desktop would be worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ~~D4RR3N~~ View Post
    Dude how much did you spend on this? 2000? You must've ran out of RU
    Not as much as you may think.

I got the Workstation itself for $400 + $50 shipping
    I got the 2 BenQ 24" 1080p displays for $279.96
    I got the GeForce GTX 750 ti for $149.99
    I grabbed a USB 3.0 card for just $14.99

So I got the Workstation and some nice upgrades for $894.94
    It came with 12 GB of ram right out of the large box it came in and it can hold up to 192 GB of ram LOL so no rush on that! 12 GB Is pretty cozy compared to the 8 GB I had with my laptop. Speaking of which...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    Really nice setup wild!

Kinda jealous though, I'm thinking of getting a proper workstation like yours ... still sitting on a gaming notebook which was expensive as hell and can't do jack daniels.
    That's sad. :-( What bothers me the most about laptops is how they can't really be upgraded for the most part other than RAM and hard drive. Some allow you to upgrade CPU and even less allow you to upgrade the graphics card and even then your limited to the vary narrow list of hardware it will actually support. A long while back I was thinking if I could jut get to the next level with a laptop and pickup something with an i5 or i7 processor I would be doing really good however that is so expensive to get something that is half decent as a desktop. When I had my cross hair on this machine I was looking for something that was pretty much the opposite of my laptop. I found this machine which upgrade potential is almost limitless and completely unrealistic. SERIOUSLY there is no way in hell I am going to be able to afford to max out the ram on this machine. 192 GB of DDR3? That's going to cost thousands I believe. The CPUS I have in this thing now are of the lower end processors this thing can support (looking at benchmarks) It can support some of the better Intel Xeon processors like the Intel Xeon X5680: Clockspeed: 3.3 GHz, Turbo Speed: 3.6 GHz, No of Cores: 6 (2 logical cores per physical)
    So this thing will show up as having 12 cores which is incredible and the benchmark is really good for this CPU: PassMark - Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz - Price performance comparison
    However the insanity doesn't end there. This being a Workstation it can have TWO of these processors installed on the motherboard. That would mean 12 physical cores 12 virtual cores.
    TWENTY FOUR CPU GRAPHS OF TOTAL INSANITY IN TASK MANAGER!!!!

Looks cramped in there!
    Well I thought it was cool anyways...
    My wallet has been yanking the leash on me for months telling me NO!!! NOOOO!!!!!!! Do NOT go and buy expensive computer hardware!!! It's so hard to resist though!

Quote Originally Posted by UT-Sniper-SJA94 View Post
    I wasn't even aware they did gaming netbooks, don't think I would ever buy one, only a gaming desktop would be worth the money.
    I am inclined to agree with you after I found out how much power little money buys these days in desktop performance compared to laptop performance. I've seen a few gaming laptops\netbooks they are stupidly expensive and I'm sure a benchmark on that hardware isn't too impressive for the price. Now that I have this machine there is no way I could imagine getting a laptop with comparable performance without the price going WAY WAY over what I paid for this.

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

Quote Originally Posted by nOs*Wildcard View Post
    What bothers me the most about laptops is how they can't really be upgraded for the most part other than RAM and hard drive.
    Exactly why I don't like laptops!!! I even have 1 and I barely used it, still in excellent condition since 2012 lol.

http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript for uscript discussion.

You could have saved $20 on the graphics card. Did you buy all the pieces at one store or multiple stores? Just be watch out not to overheat the system because then you are fucked. I would havw suggested you to buy an aftermarket cpu cooler to keep your cpu much cooler.
    "What's Yours Is Mine" Garret Thief (2013)
    Roberto Gómez Bolaños "Chespirito" fue si querer queriendo. You'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotman View Post
    You could have saved $20 on the graphics card. Did you buy all the pieces at one store or multiple stores? Just be watch out not to overheat the system because then you are fucked. I would havw suggested you to buy an aftermarket cpu cooler to keep your cpu much cooler.
    Right now temp wise it seems the system is pretty stable for the most part especially with the graphics card. I'm starting to think that getting an aftermarket cooler is going to mandatory if I'm ever going to consider putting one of the more powerful Xeons in this. Those processors pull a substantially larger amount of power then my current others do. I'm just hoping that I can find a cooler that is compatible with this machine not to mention adding on on the riser board the 2nd CPU sits on.

You saw the temps right Shotman? do they look alright to you?

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

Right now temp wise it seems the system is pretty stable for the most part especially with the graphics card. I'm starting to think that getting an aftermarket cooler is going to mandatory if I'm ever going to consider putting one of the more powerful Xeons in this. Those processors pull a substantially larger amount of power then my current others do. I'm just hoping that I can find a cooler that is compatible with this machine not to mention adding on on the riser board the 2nd CPU sits on.

You saw the temps right Shotman? do they look alright to you?
    For my PC, my CPU temps are lower

compare to yours
    But the real question is what temps are normal for the CPU that you have?
    "What's Yours Is Mine" Garret Thief (2013)
    Roberto Gómez Bolaños "Chespirito" fue si querer queriendo. You'll be missed.

Why are you using a server CPU as a gaming machine....I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, just that it wasn't designed to be used as such but that doesn't change that you can use it as other things (as clearly you are)

You can use Intel Xeons CPU for Photoshop, Illustrator and other graphics programms or server applications (eCommerce Software, Games, Development), but for gaming my personal opinion is a i5 or i7 with 4 cores. But at all a nice setup nOs*Wildcard, I think you are save for the future

The max rated temp for the CPU is 80 centigrade. You need to do something about airflow / cooling. Ideally you should be in that range when you are challenging the CPU. Not while its idle? Otherwise you would easily hit 60/70 mark.

Again, this is a server CPU so chances are they run warmer. Given the environment they are designed for (air conditioned data centre) it wouldn't matter in that situation.

My brothers comp is over clocked and it idles at 27. No BIOS CPU management, fully unlocked and even at Max hits roughly 40 which is very safe. The hotter the cpu the sooner it'll die.

First step: buy Arctic silver, repaste the CPU. Then buy some case fans. Powerful ones to create the flow since your case is probably quite large. Maybe a CPU fan if you don't see it drop down to at least 45

RAID:
    Do a striping RAID 10 array. Wicked read write speeds. And obviously as the name suggests, redundant. Therefore you won't have to worry about data loss. If a HD fails, all you do is replace it, rebuild the RAID, wait for it to finish mirroring, job done.

Is it hardware of software raid? If soft, then, if you have an OS failure all your data is gone with it. So same as basically partitioning HD.

SSD are the way forward.
    Last edited by SAM; 01-02-2015 at 12:28 PM.

It does seem odd I would use a workstation with 2 Xeon CPUs in it. There are reasons why I choose this machine. I got a great deal on this machine. I was setting out to get a machine on a budget and while I did spend more than I planned originally I went through with this because of how expandable this machine is and I love that coming from a locked laptop with maxed ram this is a nice change. I do lots of Photoshop work and video rendering as well. I often run multiple graphics programs side by side and am a HEAVY multitasker as well which I can enjoy the generous 12 GB of ram this machine came with. Being far from maxing out the RAM at 192 GB it's nice to know that I can always add more if I want more. I also will enjoy having quite a few CPUs I could pick from for upgrades however that can get a bit pricey and cooling will be a bit of a concern. Even the current CPUs I have in are pretty damn good and knowing there is stuff out there that I can put in this machine that will be even greater is awesome. Also I love having 2 physical CPUs inside the machine. I can take multitasking to the extreme with that. The cores in each CPU are not as fast as the i7's cores but these CPU's are pretty close and the Xeons I have been looking at have more cores in them and with HT and having multiple CPUs I can have a stupid amount of cores buzzing in here! and they are not that expensive in fact I could just b..........what? yeah.... I know but I could.......no?... It would be an inves....I know! I know!.... Maybe next m.....what? Alright..... I know! CAN I JUST GET ONE NOW AND.....NO!? Fine... later? much later!?!? whatever.........

Sorry I'm back my wallet just informed me I would not be buying and computer hardware for a while... I KNOW!! don't need to keep telling me!!...... Sorry wallet had to express a few more concerns so, Yeah a while longer. but I'm getting lots of mileage out of what I got now anyways :-) and knowing I can get more is always nice!

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

Thread Information