Weird lags... - Page 2

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird lags...

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Look at hop 4. That's a 100% loss and no way is that on the serverside network. You don't start hitting serverside until hop 11
    Not true. The hop simply doesn't respond to the packets being sent, nor does it have to.

The server is hosted by servercentral facilities which has presence in NA, SA, and Europe.

What we are seeing here is the advertised route appears to point to their European presence, going through holland, Belgium, to servercentral NA and eventually hitting ash.xfactorservers.com in Virginia.

It doesn't make sense for Verizon to divert traffic through Europe when chances are there are dozens of other presence points they could route to and personally, going to 160-220ms from an average of 45ms is like having your Aston Martin replaced with a school bus.

As Xfactor servers is clearly a customer of ServerCentral and UK being a customer of Xfactor...it wouldn't hurt to submit a ticket and maybe see if they can find whether or not there's an issue. Could you do that?

Is it lags or ping spikes?
    If it's lags, then you need to run the test for a whole hour, preferrably when you leave the machine unattended.
    If it's ping spikes, you're gonna need to send at least 200 packets and do a Best-Average-Worst analysis, optionally manually running ping and getting the values yourself as WinMTR won't do a standard deviation of the ping variation.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

You're right, it doesn't need to respond to ICMP.

The routing isn't determined by the host. It's the ISP the chooses the "optimal" route. There'd be nothing productive to achieve by asking this question to the host purely because they don't control your ISP. It is when you start hitting sc.net that the host / data center comes into play. As you can see from the trace, as soon as you hit sc.net, it isn't long before you are routed to the server...

You're right, it doesn't need to respond to ICMP.

The routing isn't determined by the host. It's the ISP the chooses the "optimal" route. There'd be nothing productive to achieve by asking this question to the host purely because they don't control your ISP. It is when you start hitting sc.net that the host / data center comes into play. As you can see from the trace, as soon as you hit sc.net, it isn't long before you are routed to the server...
    This is what concerns me, SAM:

Code:
    servercentral-ic-312878-ash-b1.c.telia.net -    0 |   23 |   23 |   85 |   88 |  105 |   86
    That's servercentral's european POP and it's definitely in Europe, either sweden or belgium according to various geolocation databases. My ISP decides the route insofar as picking either a low-cost next-hop based on the advertised destination for a given host... or they're completely fucked and they're doing it for reasons unbeknownst to me. Either way, a network is generally built around the foundation that the lowest-cost route is the route your packets will travel. This leads to two possibilities. There's an issue within the networks and my ISP is attempting to route around it, or SC is advertising itself via european gateway, and based on what little I know of BGP, it's absolutely possible. Of course, you know how ISPs are...

"oh, you're a residential customer .. have you tried resetting your router?"

*facepalm*

It's probably more productive to contact the colo - they have a vested interest in keeping their customers (Xfactor Servers) happy.

I could run MTR for an hour, we'll see... the part I don't quite understand is whether or not an ISP network like Verizon specifically routes traffic differently based on peak/non-peak hours but again, routing across the ocean for a destination in your own country doesn't seem like something that would any sane ISP would consider...

My connection everyday I've done everything in my power to fix it AT&T doesn't care I've had atleast 10 different tech's out to my house and they say nothing is wrong though I show them examples of what is happening even WINMTR tests and they say well theirs nothing we can do about that its out of our control.

I've went through 5 at&t modems now I'm currently on a TPLINk modem I've bought 2 differentethernet cables to no avail the TP link modem seems to be not as bad because I'm not constantly dropping connection every 5-10minutes like iI was with at&t's modem.

Only thing I can think of is theres a cut in the line somewhere to the box or the box is damaged. Anyway none of this matters within the next couple months a new Internet/tv provider has opened up in my town that is providing fiber optics internet/tv and they are going to be running new lines inside and outside my home they are tearing down all old cables on the telephone poles and are putting up all their cables.
    I CANT FUCKING WAIT TO THROW AT&T'S MODEMS OUT THE WINDOW IN THEIR BUSINESS PARKING LOT.
    Last edited by UNrealshots; 08-08-2015 at 04:07 PM.

·=GU II sDOM >3paco Finalist =· ·=GU saDM I Semi Finalist=· ·=GU I PBR Quarter Finalist=· ·=GU II roflnation Winner=· ·=GU III \\cG Semi Finalist=· ·=GU IV \\'. Finalist=· ·=GU V iB. Winner=· ·=OW I iCTF Finalist=· ·=ClanBase DIV3 iCTF WINNER ]eLc[=·

Look at hop 4. That's a 100% loss and no way is that on the serverside network. You don't start hitting serverside until hop 11
    I’m on the same hop in Tampa, also with Verizon. Verizon is known for not investing in their side of peering. They are expecting their peering contractors to pay for hardware on both sides of those knots which is absolutely illogical and not the standard. But they don't pay for it, hence the Verizon side is outdated and overloaded resulting in packet loss. And this results in buffered video streaming from YT, Netflix, fucked up connects with everything TCPIP related, you name it.

Why? Verizon is trying to kill their TV streaming completion because until a couple years ago they had a monopoly on their fucking $150 a month cable TV. These days more and more consumers stream on demand from the competition using Verizon Fios Internet. They don’t like that and you get buffered streaming and packet loss as a thank you.

If you are living in the US and you want to do something about it, stay away from dirty fucking VERZION! If you move, make sure you have an alternative to Verizon because they buy into entire districts to become the sole Internet, TV and Phone provider. If that’s the case you are fucked with their monopoly.
    Last edited by IronMaiden; 08-08-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Do we work together? LOL

UNrealshots has a real interesting example - he's ending up the same way I/we are, however, that he's able to not incur a massive penalty across the ocean is pretty interesting. Still strange packets have to take that route, but seeing that I'm a little more inclined to think there's a serious issue on verizon's side of that peer point.

What was Level3 saying about verizon anyhow? About offering to spend a few minutes and connect those unused links to get rid of those horrendous bottlenecks verizon was whining about? this makes me think it's deliberate. How the hell does a customer on bellsouth get 89 ms all the way through but I have to deal with 200ms because teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net (verizon if i recal) is (or appears now to be) a deliberate bottleneck.

Of course... if there were a different advertised route for servercentral's US datacenter in VA ..that might help circumvent verizon's nonsense

Can't win...I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
    I’m on the same hop in Tampa, also with Verizon. Verizon is known for not investing in their side of peering. They are expecting their peering contractors to pay for hardware on both sides of those knots which is absolutely analogical and not the standard. This results in buffered video streaming from YT, Netflix, fucked up connects with everything TCPIP related, you name it.

Why? Verizon is trying to kill their TV streaming completion because until a couple years ago they had a monopoly on their fucking $150 a month cable TV. These days more and more consumers stream on demand from the completion using Verizon Fios Internet. They don’t like that and you get buffered streaming and packet loss as a thank you.

If you are living in the US and you want to do something about it, stay away from dirty fucking VERZION! If you move, make sure you have an alternative to Verizon because they buy into entire districts to become the sole Internet, TV and Phone provider. If that’s the case you are fucked with their monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by |uK|UNrealshots View Post

My connection everyday I've done everything in my power to fix it AT&T doesn't care I've had atleast 10 different tech's out to my house and they say nothing is wrong though I show them examples of what is happening even WINMTR tests and they say well theirs nothing we can do about that its out of our control.

I've went through 5 at&t modems now I'm currently on a TPLINk modem I've bought 2 differentethernet cables to no avail the TP link modem seems to be not as bad because I'm not constantly dropping connection every 5-10minutes like iI was with at&t's modem.

Only thing I can think of is theres a cut in the line somewhere to the box or the box is damaged. Anyway none of this matters within the next couple months a new Internet/tv provider has opened up in my town that is providing fiber optics internet/tv and they are going to be running new lines inside and outside my home they are tearing down all old cables on the telephone poles and are putting up all their cables.
    I CANT FUCKING WAIT TO THROW AT&T'S MODEMS OUT THE WINDOW IN THEIR BUSINESS PARKING LOT.
    You are on DSL, right? You are most likely on the far end to their next transformer, hence your signal strength is weak. Nothing your can do about it until less people are on the same transformer or you can get fiber glass.

BTDT, also with ATT.

EDIT: you do have a DSL filter for your phones right?
    Last edited by IronMaiden; 08-08-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Sweet fiber, now if only my ISP had a bigger traffic pipeline to Miami, i'd ping 40-80 to USA with a super reliable connection.
    I ping 40 to UnrealKillers site using a CloudFlare route, so I guess that's the best ping I could theoretically get if my state ISP wasn't wasting millions of dollars in putting money for rebuilding a basketball stadium...

Code:
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                             192.168.1.5 -    0 |  106 |  106 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|                  uni2bras1.antel.net.uy -    0 |  106 |  106 |    2 |    3 |    5 |    3 |

|           ibb2uni3-0-2-0-0.antel.net.uy -    0 |  106 |  106 |    1 |    2 |   11 |    3 |

|             cbb2tiu1-be200.antel.net.uy -    0 |  106 |  106 |    1 |    4 |    9 |    4 |

|             ibe2uni1-be200.antel.net.uy -    0 |  106 |  106 |    2 |    4 |    7 |    4 |

|           ibr2nap4-0-2-1-0.antel.net.uy -    0 |  106 |  106 |  138 |  140 |  145 |  141 |

|xe-0-2-0-35.r04.miamfl02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net -    0 |  106 |  106 |  146 |  148 |  151 |  149 |

|     ae-4.r05.miamfl02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net -    0 |  106 |  106 |  160 |  161 |  166 |  162 |

|                  ae12.mia10.ip4.gtt.net -    0 |  106 |  106 |  146 |  151 |  199 |  148 |

|             xe-10-3-0.nyc39.ip4.gtt.net -    0 |  106 |  106 |  171 |  175 |  218 |  173 |

|                 internap-gw.ip4.gtt.net -    0 |  106 |  106 |  166 |  166 |  169 |  166 |

|    border2.pc2-bbnet2.ext1.nym.pnap.net -    0 |  106 |  106 |  166 |  174 |  342 |  167 |

|    inap-b2.e3.router.nyc.nfoservers.com -    0 |  106 |  106 |  166 |  167 |  170 |  166 |

|c-162-248-95-129.internap-nyc.nfoservers.com -    0 |  106 |  106 |  178 |  180 |  187 |  181 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

And now it looks like performance has magically improved...

Code:
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
    |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |                                  router -    0 |  260 |  260 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
    |          Wireless_Broadband_Router.home -    0 |  261 |  261 |    0 |    1 |    3 |    1 |
    |    L100.TAMPFL-VFTTP-69.verizon-gni.net -    0 |  260 |  260 |    5 |    8 |  113 |    8 |
    |  G0-9-4-1.TAMPFL-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net -    0 |  261 |  261 |    6 |   11 |   24 |   11 |
    |                   No response from host -  100 |   53 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |               0.ae9.GW1.MIA19.ALTER.NET -    0 |  260 |  260 |   15 |   18 |   30 |   17 |
    |       teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net -    0 |  260 |  260 |   68 |   95 |  130 |  127 |
    |                  ash-bb3-link.telia.net -    0 |  261 |  261 |   97 |  122 |  156 |  150 |
    |                   ash-b1-link.telia.net -    0 |  260 |  260 |   97 |  122 |  156 |  152 |
    |servercentral-ic-312878-ash-b1.c.telia.net -    0 |  260 |  260 |   93 |  119 |  171 |  150 |
    |            42.ae1.cr2.iad1.us.scnet.net -    1 |  257 |  256 |   95 |  122 |  221 |  146 |
    |  as36352.ge-1-1-5.cr2.iad1.us.scnet.net -    0 |  260 |  260 |   94 |  119 |  270 |  151 |
    |                  ash.xfactorservers.com -    0 |  260 |  260 |   93 |  118 |  153 |  149 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
       WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
    So what, it goes from 200ms to 93 at 7pm ...because why?

so OK SAM, it appears despite the seemingly strange routing, my issue does in fact exist with verizon since it is their gateway that's fucking me over. Maybe I'll call in an issue with the business account we have at work and raise the issue that way ...see what they say about it.

Thread Information