User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    The max rated temp for the CPU is 80 centigrade. You need to do something about airflow / cooling. Ideally you should be in that range when you are challenging the CPU. Not while its idle? Otherwise you would easily hit 60/70 mark.

Again, this is a server CPU so chances are they run warmer. Given the environment they are designed for (air conditioned data centre) it wouldn't matter in that situation.

My brothers comp is over clocked and it idles at 27. No BIOS CPU management, fully unlocked and even at Max hits roughly 40 which is very safe. The hotter the cpu the sooner it'll die.

First step: buy Arctic silver, repaste the CPU. Then buy some case fans. Powerful ones to create the flow since your case is probably quite large. Maybe a CPU fan if you don't see it drop down to at least 45

RAID:
    Do a striping RAID 10 array. Wicked read write speeds. And obviously as the name suggests, redundant. Therefore you won't have to worry about data loss. If a HD fails, all you do is replace it, rebuild the RAID, wait for it to finish mirroring, job done.

Is it hardware of software raid? If soft, then, if you have an OS failure all your data is gone with it. So same as basically partitioning HD.

SSD are the way forward.
    It is hardware RAID however it's limited to HD's of 2 TB while the total RAID size can be 6 or 8 TB? don't remember. I do know that it's limited to only RAID 1 and RAID 0 which sucks so only way I will be getting RAID 10 is if I get a card for it. I do have some Arctic silver I was thinking if it would be worth trying. Also the strangeness that I would have to interact with the riser board and remove that out of the motherboard and put it back in. I would have to be careful. I just got done cleaning all the fans and heat sinks more thoroughly. The whole dell shit will be a pain when it comes to introducing foreign hardware like custom coolers and fans. I think there is a way to get it all working no matter how ugly it gets. Hell last week I slapped together a cooling solution for one of my external hard drives that just decided out of the blue to hit 54 degrees C by slapping on a cooling assembly from an old Pentium 4 machine cardboard plastic from broken DVD cases and lots and lots of electrical tape it looks absolutely hilarious and ghetto. I am proud of this abomination I slapped together and it works damn good too went down to 30 degrees C lol.

I wish I could use this machine as a server It's extremely hard to find an internet connection that is above 1 Mbps up. Sucks hard. Unless I move to wherever they have Google fiber at.

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

I cant edit my posts using chrome so unless I fire up Internet Explorer or download another browser I can't edit my posts.
    So, DOUBLE POST! (my bad if that's really frowned upon around here but somehow I really doubt it is)

Anyways,
    For more ghetto hard drive cooler hilarity check these out!
    Ghetto Hard Drive Cooler Picture 1
    Ghetto Hard Drive Cooler Picture 2
    Ghetto Hard Drive Cooler Picture 3
    Ghetto Hard Drive Cooler Picture 4
    Ghetto Hard Drive Cooler Picture 5
    Doesn't that thing look ridiculous?

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

The Best There Ever Will Be! |uK|B|aZe//.'s Avatar
    LOL what the hell did I just see

I love hardware hacks.

I like the name. No 54. Good one.

You're right though dells cases are pretty bad for after market coolers etc. But nothing stopping you from lifting all of it out that case and dumping it into another.....

You should be able to edit post WC. I will check that. I didn't know google did internet ....goodbye internet.

I upgraded my machines CPUs This should meet Unreal Tournaments minimum system requirements right?

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

You could totally run your UT servers... all of them while doing your usual stuff lmao.
    ------------------------------------- * -------------------------------------

I have been tossing and turning over this setup. I think you might be able to get the minimum 28fps! Lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by Higor View Post
    You could totally run your UT servers... all of them while doing your usual stuff lmao.
    YES!!! It totally could! if only I had the internet connection..........

Oh BTW SPAM VICTORY!

Thread Information